Below is a listing of the research areas that CBA is involved in and the research projects in each area.
For more detailed information about the different projects, see the project descriptions in the latest annual report.
Theory: discrete geometry, volumes and fuzzy methods
- Skeletonization in 3D discrete binary images
- Distance functions and distance transforms in discrete images
- Comparison of gray weighted distance measures
- Polar distance transform
- Image processing and analysis of 3D images in the bcc and fcc grids
- Defuzzification of fuzzy segmented objects by feature invariance
- Spel coverage representations
Analysis of microscopic biomedical images
- New objective quantitative analysis techniques for quantification of tissue regeneration around medical devices
- Analysis of skeletal muscle fibers in three dimensional images
- Analysis of rat embryo heart activity
- Automated localisation of macromolecules in cryo electron tomographic data
- Segmentation and analysis of point-like fluorescent signals in 2D and 3D images of cells
- Image based measurements of single cell mtDNA mutation load
- Quantification and localization of colocalization
- Analysis of random array data
- Monitoring cell growth by wavelet based texture classification
- Parallax error correction in retinal image registration
- Identification of highly pathogenic viruses in transmission electron microscopy images
- Analysis of virus morphology in electron microscopy images
- A multidisciplinary approach to establish mechanisms for mitochondrial DNA segregation in human disease
3D analysis and visualization
- Improved interactive medical image analysis through haptic display
- Interactive organ segmentation from abdominal CT images
- Analysis of dynamic breast MRI
- Interactive Interactive segmentation of back muscles in MR images
- Efficient algorithms for computer graphics
- Whole hand haptics with true 3D displays
- ProViz -- Interactive visualization of in situ 3D protein images
- PAP-cell detection, analysis and classification
Forestry related applications
- Image analysis of the internal paper structure and cellulose based composite materials in 3D images
- Log end feature extraction of untreated wood logs in saw mill environment
- Detection of rot in end faces of wood logs
- Quantification of the quality of wood fibres
- Surtsey and Capelinhos, two contemporary submarine volcanoes
- The development of a general image analysis software platform
- Comparison of priority queue algorithms
- Geodesic computations in sampled manifolds
The acronym 3DIS4U stands for "Three-dimensional image studio for Uppsala" and is the Visualization Lab located at the Centre for Image Analysis(CBA)
Haptics and its applications to medicine
Haptics hardware and software for assembly of fractured objects, interactive segmentation of medical images, and cranio-maxillofacial surgery planning.
A unique tool for visualizing nanometer resolution images of macromolecular structures such as proteins.
Visualization of bone implants
Assessing bone implant integration from synchrotron micro-CT data
Gaining a better understanding of the microstructure of composite materials and developing methods for quantitative and qualitative information extraction from micro-CT images.
Cervical cancer screening
Automated screening for cancer in Pap-smear images.
A Decision Support System for the Prognostication of Prostate Cancer.